Have You Been a Victim of Crime?

Victims of violence and their families face many emotional, physical, and financial challenges. If you were the victim of a crime that occurred in California, you may be eligible for free counseling and other financial compensation from the State from the California Victims Compensation Program (VPC). Assistance is available from our local office or from the State of California.

The Crimes Most Commonly Covered by the California Victims Compensation Program

  • Assault with a Deadly Weapon
  • Battery Child Abuse / Molest (including from family members)
  • Domestic Violence
  • Driving Under the Influence
  • Hit and Run
  • Vehicular Manslaughter
  • Murder
  • Robbery
  • Sexual Assault (including from family members)
  • Stalking
  • Other Violent Crimes as defined by statute

Expenses CVP Can Cover

Funds can be used for the following services if they are directly related to trauma from the crime.

  • Medical/Dental Treatments
  • Mental Health Counseling
  • Lost Wages / Income
  • Lost Support to Eligible Family Members
  • Domestic Violence Moving and Relocation
  • Funeral / Burial
  • Job Retraining
  • Home or Vehicle Modification
  • Child Care
  • Legal Assistance

For crimes from January 1, 2001, all payments for a direct victim cannot exceed $70,000.

Who Can Receive Help

  • A victim who is injured as a result of a qualifying crime (a “direct victim”).
  • Anyone who pays for the medical and/or funeral/burial expenses of a deceased victim.
  • A person who is not directly injured or killed as a result of a crime (a “derivative victim”) but who, at the time of the crime, was a resident of California, AND

– Is the parent, sibling, spouse, or child of the victim; OR

– Is living with the victim at the time of the crime; OR

– Has lived with the victim for at least two years in a relationship similar to a parent, sibling, spouse, or child of the victim; OR

– Is another family member of the victim, including the victim’s fiancé, and witnessed the crime; OR

– Is the primary caretaker of a minor victim but was not the primary caretaker at the time of the crime.

I am a California Victim of Crime Provider. If you’ve been a victim of crime and are in need of psychological counseling, please call or email me.